Monday, October 15, 2012

mommie dearests by karen g.


Whether they’re just protecting their young or wreaking havoc on the masses, these “Moms of Horror” are certainly unforgettable…

Who's your fave?

Norma Bates from Psycho



Mrs. Voorhees from Friday the 13th (1980)



Margaret White from Carrie



Rosemary Woodhouse from Rosemary's Baby



Grace Stewart from The Others



Lydia Brenner from The Birds



Aunt Martha from Sleepaway Camp



Donna Trenton from Cujo



Wendy Torrance from The Shining



Chris MacNeil from The Exorcist



Lynn Sear from The Sixth Sense



Marge Thompson from A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

5 comments:

  1. OMG I love so many of these bitches!!! So hilarious you included the INSANE Sleepaway Camp mom - I just watched that again a few weeks ago and her mannerisms and affectations are so bizarrely over the top - I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought Lynn Sear was the hidden treat and power of "The Sixth Sense". The twist and Haley Joel Osment's performance got all the talk, but on second and third watch she was the one that held it all together.

    Good selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma might be my favorite (since Psycho itself tops my list) but I'll add that I met Dee Wallace four years ago and she's a lovely human being; special shout out to Lydia Brenner as she shares her first name with my own Mom.

      Delete
  3. All excellent selections, and your usual great post!

    For me, the best horror mom performance was Piper Laurie in Carrie. Evil personified and, most effectively, entirely believable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta go with Mrs. Bates and in a close second is Vorhees! nice write up

    ReplyDelete